SAB Foundation and Bertha Centre join forces to catalyse social innovation in South Africa
SAB Foundation (SABF) has partnered with the Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship to launch the SABF Seed Fund for social innovators and entrepreneurs as part of their mission to advance change-makers in South Africa. The fund supports innovative ideas with test funding up to R10 000 and social enterprise in their startup phase with seed funding up to R50 000.
If you are a current or recent UCT, GSB or RAA graduate with innovative ideas for tackling social or environmental problems in low-income communities then you are eligable to apply. If this is too short notice, then it is good to know that the SABF Seed Fund will make three calls for proposals each year.
Who can apply for the SABF Seed Fund?
Test Funding for current students
- Applicants currently enrolled as a University of Cape Town, UCT Graduate School of Business (UCT GSB) student including Raymond Ackerman Academy (RAA) students
- Student has developed and researched a social innovative idea
- Requires cash funding for further development and pilot to refine business model
Startup Funding for current and recent students
- Applicants are either recent graduates (two years) of UCT or current students who intend to graduate the following year from their UCT programmes again including RAA
- Student has made significant steps towards product development, and can demonstrate progress made since initial seed funding (if applicable)
- Requires cash funding for market validation and enterprise sustainability
What are the criteria for the SABF Seed Fund?
The criteria to apply for the SABF Seed Fund relate to the following aspects:
- Social impact potential
- Overall sustainability of the business model
- Team capabilities / delivery potential
The application closed on November 6, 2016. To apply visit the website and fill out the online form. You will also find an overview of the five 2015 and the nine 2016 awardees on their website, which I find quite interesting.