Social Innovation Meets School (SIMS) is an Berlin based project that was started by Melanie Akerboom in 2016 with the aim to bring social entrepreneurship education into schools to foster creativity, teamwork, entrepreneurial thinking and problem solving skills in youth.
Behind Social Innovation Meets School (SIMS) is a small, international team passionate about education and social change. At SIMS we offer Social Entrepreneurship & Innovation workshops for high school students. and we train and equips teachers on how to integrate social entrepreneurship into class. We also aim to work with teachers in training and develop teaching materials.
The team works internationally, but with a focus in Berlin. They team delivered a social innovation workshop during the Digi Camp (youth camp) with our partner TeachSurfing in Armenia in August 2016. In November and December 2016, the team facilitated a workshop series with grade 10 high school students Berlin
- January 2016: Co-Creation Workshop, Berlin & Ideation Workshop in Berlin
- August 2016: Social Innovation Workshop, youth camp, Armenia
- November – December 2016: Social Entrepreneurship Workshop series with high school students of the Max-Delbrück-Gymnasium in Berlin
Plans for 2017
- March 2017: Co-Creation Workshop with educators, design thinkers, social entrepreneurs, students and South Africans living in Berlin
- April 2017: Co-hosting the event “Challenges and opportunities for social startups in the education sector” in Berlin
- Mai 2017: Social entrepreneurship workshop series with high school students in Berlin, Germany
- October 2017: Social entrepreneurship workshop series with high school students in Cape Town, South Africa
- December 2017: Learning/teaching material for educators online available