HI USA Explore the World Travel Scholarships – Funded travel opportunity for education, volunteerism or service learning
Looking for an opportunity to travel the world while doing some good? TeachSurfing is partnering with Hostelling International USA, which is giving away 98 travel scholarships in the amount of $2000 each to Americans between the ages of 18-30 who plan an educational or service-related trip as part of their journey. Awards will be split into two payments: an initial $1,000 payment prior to departure and the remaining $1,000 after return.
How does it work?
TeachSurfing is a young social startup based in Berlin that gives travellers, refugees, and locals the opportunity to share their knowledge and skills with schools, nonprofit organizations, and communities, while gaining unique social and cultural experiences and creating local connections when travelling abroad. TeachSurfing will help you plan your trip to locations where they have a strong network of partner schools, NGOs and other potential service learning host organisations. What you need to do is include TeachSurfing as your proposed educational/service project during the application. The team will do the work behind the scenes to help you arrange the logistics.
Who can apply?
- If you are a US citizen or permanent resident (possess a Green Card) and between 18 – 30 years of age at the time of application
- If you can demonstrate financial need by meeting at least one of the following criteria::
- Being a current Pell Grant recipient
- Being a former Pell Grant recipient
- Having a current income level that does not exceed 300% of the 2016 Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- If you reside or attend school in one of the select metropolitan areas where HI USA has a community presence.
- If you have a strong desire and motivation to experience other people and cultures through international travel.
- If you are willing to take a trip to a destination outside of the 50 United States between May 15, 2017 and August 31, 2018 that incorporates education, volunteerism or service learning.
You can find more detailed eligibility information here.